Brain tumors are a common type of tumor found in the body. These tumors result from uncontrolled and abnormal growth of the brain tissue affecting a specific part of the brain and its functioning. Neurological problems are a common outcome of brain tumors. Some brain tumors may be present without showing any symptoms. Brain tumors can be genetic or can occur from other various factors. If you have a history of cancer in your family, you should discuss it with your healthcare professional and should take some important preventive measures beforehand. Brain tumors cannot be prevented completely, only their chances of occurrence can be reduced.
Here are some of the important steps you need to take if you want to lower the risk of a brain tumor explained briefly by India’s best neurosurgeon Dr. Kalyan Bommakanti:
- Avoid alcohol consumption as much as you can. As it can seriously affect your health and impair your immune system. Having alcohol regularly can increase the incidence of developing brain tumors. This consumption also varies among gender, as men should not consume more than 2 drinks a day while women should limit their alcohol consumption to one glass per day.
- Limit smoking habits. Smoking is very dangerous for health and is a leading cause of causing cancer in individuals who smoke on a regular basis. Not only active smoking but passive smoking can be as risky too.
- Regular exercise is key to living a healthy and happy life. It decreases the prevalence of various health problems including cancer too.
- A balanced diet can fight everything that is going to negatively impact the functioning of the body. Your body is what you eat. If eating junk and fast food is your way of living, then forget about the immunity you need to fight certain health battles for your own body. Processed food should be avoided as much as possible.
- Obesity is a leading cause of almost all the health problems that can occur in the body. Staying active, and eating clean can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Sunscreen should be made an everyday essential. Protecting your skin from the radiation coming from the sun is very important to avoid the chances of developing skin cancer.
- Getting genetic counseling as per need.
- Regular screening and checkups must be followed religiously.